Saturday, January 29, 2011

Synthetic Sediment Stuff

Well, I've ventured into the world of blogging for the first time. And I believe it is for a good purpose, not just to see myself in print on the net. These pages are devoted to talking about all things sediment (aquatic sediment... not the subsurface "geologist" version), an interest that began with my excellent grad-school experience at Manhattan College in the early 1990s, under wonderful professors like Drs. Dominic Di Toro, John Mahony, Bob Thomann, and John Connolly, and with great fellow-students like Michael Fichera and Tom Parkerton.

For the last 10 or so years, that curiosity has focused on synthetic (artificial, formulated) sediment and how to "build a better mouse trap" as the saying goes. Improving the development of synthetic sediment has become my pet project that keeps my brain occupied and entertained while I spend my work days earning a living. The current iteration of the fruits of my labors is a material I've coined synthediment(TM) (.. synth[etic] [s]ediment). It's formulated with a much larger list of components than the common recipes currently in use. I'll be posting more information in the near future about synthediment(TM), the background behind its development, and the progress being made on applications using this material.

It's my hope that others will join in the conversation and share our collective thoughts on this part of the environment. Enjoy!

1 comment: